-History of AfricaGems-
Marc Sarosi is the founder and CEO of AfricaGems.
I come by my love and appreciation of gemstones and jewelry honestly. It's in my blood. My father, Andrew Sarosi was a legendary gemstone dealer of 40+ years and jewelry designer, creator of exceptional gemstone jewelry. In college, I got BA degrees in geography and geological science with an emphasis in mineralogy. My first real job after college (1984) was as a geologist in Zambia, prospecting for Emeralds for Gems of Africa, a Zambian based gemstone firm.
After learning the ropes of the ways of Africa, in 1986 I bought the mining rights to a famous aquamarine mine called Kapilinkesa which I actively mined for 5 years. Please see our mining videos. Talk about learning about things from the bottom up! I lived in Zambia and travelled throughout gem producing areas of Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, Mozambique, Malawi, Zimbabwe and South Africa) for the next 15 years, buying and selling gems worldwide. I realized early on the power of the Internet so I established AfricaGems.com in 1997 and operate it full time today with the help of my 3 wonderful assistants.
When I am not working with clients or on the website, I spend my time focused on my lovely and talented wife Lily Kanter, co-founder and CEO of her own business - Serena & Lily, and our three sons, Max, Ezekiel and Nate. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area affords me many opportunities to garden, raise chickens, boating, fishing, and spend time enjoying great and fun outdoor adventures with my family.
AfricaGems.com is extremely proud of our donation of 25 gemstones to the National Museum of Natural History at the Smithsonian Institution in December of 2000. Click Here to Learn More
The ZCF does very important work in the south central African nation of Zambia, supporting orphaned children through a variety of innovative programs. In a nation devastated by HIV, which has resulted in more than 2 million orphaned children, the Zambian Children's Fund works hard to feed, shelter and educate orphaned children to enable them to become healthy, self sustaining adults. Click Here to Learn More
- What is your favorite gemstone?Anything super gemmy and big!
- What do you do at Africa Gems?Whatever needs to be done, from closing sales to taking out the trash.
- What do you like to do in your free time? Adventure travel with my family anywhere exciting, urban farming
- What are 5 things you cannot live without? My wife and kids, plus my garden and chickens of course!
- What is your favorite place on Earth? Easy one - Africa!
- What is your favorite book? Omnivore’s Dilemma
Jeff our Staff Graduate Gemologist
- What is your favorite gemstone? Chrysoberyl Cat’s Eye
- What do you do at Africa Gems? Staff Graduate Gemologist, procurement of gemstones, client fulfillment, and digital image photographer
- What do you like to do in your free time? Play golf, travel, cook, go to San Francisco Giants games, enjoy the Bay Area
- What are 5 things you cannot live without? My wife, my kids, work, romance, music
- What is your favorite place on Earth? Disneyland, the Bay Area, Brazil
- What is your favorite book? The Da Vinci Code
Chaya - General Site Management
- What is your favorite gemstone? Ametrine. I love the unexpected combo of yellow and purple in one gem.
- What do you do at Africa Gems? I upload new inventory, write product descriptions as well as content, manage social media outlets, and work on general site management.
- What do you like to do in your free time? What free time?! When I’m not working, I’m running after two delicious little boys and loving every minute! And if I ever get some real free time I enjoy playing board games with my husband.
- What are 5 things you cannot live without? My family, a Prayer Book, Iced Coffee, Weekly Day to Disconnect (aka Shabbos), Exercise
- What is your favorite place on Earth? Jerusalem
- What is your favorite book? A Daughter of Two Mothers by Miriam Cohen